The Second Amendment
As a gun owner and member of the National Rifle Association of America (NRA), Dr. Gosar has done and will continue to do everything he can to defend the Second Amendment. Our Founding Fathers recognized that it was necessary to include the Second Amendment in the Bill of Rights in order to allow individuals to protect themselves, their families and their property from threats and an overreaching federal government.
As Arizona’s federal Representative, Dr. Gosar is committed to blocking any and all attempts by anti-gun advocates, the Obama Administration and the United Nations that infringe on this sacred right. He will continue to be a strong voice for our Second Amendment freedoms.
Dr. Gosar joined several of his colleagues in introducing the Separation of Powers Act, legislation that blocks all of Obama’s unconstitutional gun grabs and executive actions that infringe on the Second Amendment. This legislation passed the House with bipartisan support in July of 2016.
In the 112th Congress, the House passed Paul’s amendment to block an unconstitutional gun ban on Army Corps of Engineers’ land. This ban has since been overturned.
In the 113th Congress, the House passed his amendment that reversed the BATFE ban on 7N6 ammunition. Gun Owners of America (GOA) and the NRA endorsed the amendment.
Dr. Gosar is proud to be an original cosponsor of the Lawful Purpose and Self Defense Act. This bill is endorsed by the NRA and prevents BATFE from reclassifying popular rifle ammunition as armor piercing.
Paul has also voted for and cosponsored multiple pieces of legislation to terminate Operation Choke Point, an unconstitutional program created by the Obama Administration to “choke out” gun dealers and other legitimate business by forcing banks to close their accounts.
He recently spearheaded three appropriation’s language requests that utilized the power of the purse to defend the Second Amendment. These submissions seek to terminate the BATFE’s Southwest Border Initiative, eliminate an arbitrary 20-year paperwork requirement for FFLs and block infringements stemming from the unconstitutional Sporting Purposes Test.
Dr. Gosar is a cosponsor of the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act, legislation that allows lawful gun owners with a concealed carry permit in one state to carry in other states that allow concealed carry.
Paul has helped lead the charge to insert multiple appropriations’ riders into bills that defund the unconstitutional U.N. Arms Trade Treaty.
Dr. Gosar’ was instrumental in pushing back against BATFE’s proposed ban on green tip ammo and getting the agency to drop this misguided proposal.
GOA considers Dr. Gosar a “pro-gun leader that introduces pro-gun legislation” and ranks him with an “A+” lifetime rating on their scorecard. Paul has a lifetime grade of “A” with the NRA who considers Dr. Gosar a "solidly pro-gun candidate with a record of support on Second Amendment issues."
Dr. Gosar will always be a staunch defender of the Second Amendment and our inalienable right to bear arms.
The NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) endorsed Dr. Gosar stating, "The NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) has endorsed Paul Gosar for U.S. House of Representatives in the August 30th, 2016, Republican primary in the 4th Congressional District of Arizona. Paul has a proven pro-Second Amendment record and is committed to protecting your gun rights!
- Supports Right-to-Carry – Paul cosponsored and voted for concealed carry reciprocity legislation, which would ensure that law-abiding Americans with the legal right to carry concealed would be able to carry their firearm for self-defense in any other state. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton do not trust you to carry your firearm for self-defense, but Paul Gosar does!
- Opposes the Obama/Bloomberg/Clinton Gun Control Agenda – Paul has consistently opposed attempts to ban lawfully owned firearms, magazines and ammunition, and has stood strong against President Obama’s, Hillary Clinton’s, and former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s gun control agenda.
- Opposes Operation Choke Point – Paul voted for legislation that prohibits the Obama Administration from executing an abusive practice in which Department of Justice intimidates banks into refusing or severing financial services to legally operated ammunition and firearms dealers.
- Opposes Ammo Ban – Paul signed a letter to the Obama administration opposing its flagrant attempt to ban commonly used ammunition for the most popular rifle in America.
- Supports America’s Hunting Heritage – Paul voted for the Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreation Enhancement Act, which would open and protect access to public lands for hunting, allow citizens to carry firearms on Army Corps land, and benefit sportsmen in Arizona and throughout the country.
- Opposes the U.N. Gun Ban Treaty – Paul signed a letter opposing any international treaty by the United Nations or other global organizations that would impose restrictions on American gun owners.
- Opposes a Federal Gun Database – Paul voted to prevent ATF from circumventing the will of Congress by centralizing records of thousands of Americans’ long gun purchases.
- Opposed Attorney General Eric Holder – Paul voted to hold former Attorney General Eric Holder in Contempt of Congress for refusal to comply with a subpoena duly issued by the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform where he neglected to hand over documents regarding the flawed and tragic Fast and Furious scandal.
Serving on both the Oversight and Investigation Committee and the House Natural Resources Committee, Paul Gosar understands the importance of preserving the 2nd Amendment and our freedom. Paul has a consistent and proven voting record on Second Amendment issues in the U.S. House of Representatives and is committed to defending your constitutional rights, and that’s why it’s critically important for you to vote Paul Gosar for U.S. House of Representatives in the August 30th, 2016, Republican primary in the 4th Congressional District of Arizona!"