Immigration and Border Security
“We need to immediately secure our border. I oppose amnesty in all forms.” – Dr. Paul Gosar
The Federal Government has failed its constitutional duty to secure our border. President Obama’s unwillingness to uphold the Rule of Law put the people of Arizona at risk. The Obama Administration gave amnesty to illegal immigrants who subsequently killed and harmed innocent Americans. Such actions are inexcusable. Further, unilateral executive actions on immigration are unconstitutional. Paul has been leading the charge in Congress to secure the border and end Obama’s executive amnesty policies. Article I, Section 8, Clause 4 of our Constitution gives Congress clear jurisdiction on immigration matters and we must reclaim that authority.
In March of 2016, Dr. Gosar led five appropriations submissions to crack down on illegal immigration. Specifically, Paul utilized the power of the purse to demand that appropriators ensure we build the fence, defund sanctuary cities, defund all of Obama’s executive amnesty programs, defund Central American Amnesty flights, and reimburse states for the cost of incarcerating illegal immigrants. Breitbart News covered these five appropriations efforts submitted by Dr. Gosar and his colleagues.
Dr. Gosar has introduced multiple pieces of legislation to prevent illegal immigrants from receiving amnesty and to secure the border including:
- H.R. 3566, which prevents illegal immigrants from receiving in-state tuition.
- H.R. 3818, which terminates instant amnesty for Cubans and the Wet Foot/Dry Foot Policy.
- H.R. 4856, which prevents gang members and violent criminal aliens from receiving amnesty.
- H.R. 5035, to reauthorize the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (SCAAP).
- H.R. 5141, the Central American Amnesty Termination Act, to prevent the administration from flying unlawful immigrants from three Central American countries to the U.S.
- H.R. 5710, the Military Amnesty Prevention Act, to prevent the Obama Administration from unconstitutionally enlisting illegal aliens in the military.
- H.Res.281, to resume Operation Streamline and zero tolerance immigration enforcement.
Major Gosar Immigration Victories:
- Stopped the Ice Detention Facility in Florence from releasing an illegal immigrant with drug resistant tuberculous into the Pinal County Community.
- Inserted rider into House Appropriations bill that ensured no funding for Obama's executive amnesty.
- Passed amendment with a bipartisan vote of 236-182 that blocked funds for "Sanctuary City" policies.
Dr. Gosar cosponsored the Secure Fence Restoration Act and the Build the Fence Act. Both of these bills aimed to complete the double layered fence and secure the border. In addition, Paul has cosponsored multiple pieces of legislation to bolster security and support border patrol agents, to build the wall, to require mandatory jail time for illegal aliens that unlawfully enter the U.S., and to prevent illegal immigrants that are arrested for violent crimes from being released into our communities.
Paul also spearheaded an effort to encourage the Government Accountability office to determine whether Obama’s executive amnesty orders violate the Anti-Deficiency Act. Dr. Gosar joined several of his colleagues in introducing Kate's law, legislation that sets the amount of jail time to no less than five years for illegal aliens who were previously deported and attempt to return illegally to the United States. Paul also joined several of his colleagues in introducing the Stop Catch and Release Act, legislation that prevents illegal immigrants with pending criminal charge from being released back into our communities.
Dr. Gosar sponsored an amendment and has introduced legislation to prevent the Obama Administration from operating a backdoor amnesty program that allows illegal aliens to enlist in the military. As Breitbart News reports, the administration “is accelerating its program to recruit younger illegals and put them on a fast-track to citizenship.” Prior to an unconstitutional memo from the Obama Administration in 2014, DACA aliens and other unlawful illegal immigrants were not allowed to enlist in the military.
Dr. Gosar has a career ‘A+’ grade with NumbersUSA and a career 100% rating with the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) for his leadership on immigration enforcement issues in Congress.
Dr. Gosar opposes amnesty in all forms and will continue to do everything in his power to secure the border and end unlawful executive immigration policies that are putting Arizona communities at risk.